We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them.

- Mother Teresa

November 13, 2009

Site Visit

So last weekend the Peace Corps decided to send all the trainees to different provinces where there are different PCV sites. We got to spend the weekend with them. Some traveled far, some not. Two days ago I was seriously considering about throwing in the towel and coming home. Want to understand why? Lets rewind.

Thursday (last week)

I decided I wanted to go to Tete Province because my language instructor had said they have animals. So, I get my site visit placement and find out Im going to Tete (I had no say in this either). Specifically, to Angonia to visit 2 education volunteers.

Saturday

I leave in the morning with my friends and former colleagues Sara, who is also a health PCT, and Esther, whose an education PCT. We get driven from Namaacha by Peace Corps to Maputo to fly to Tete. I must note that there was laughing cow cheese included in our meal on the plane and lets just say my taste buds were ecstatic. So, we arrive in Tete and its hotter than Hades...I almost said hotter than Africa, because thats what I used to say in the U.S. Now I understand the meaning of that phrase. Anyway, its really hot and we´re in Tete City. I call our PCV to see whats up. She says to get a taxi to the catholic cathedral and that it should cost 200 MTS. Ok, sweet. We get in a taxi and head to the igreja. The dude then says the ride costs 500 MTS! I was like umm, no. My colleague said this should be 200. Then Sara had already given him a 500. So we waited for the PCVs to arrive. I explained the situation and then they start calling the guy a thief and that he was robbing us and that they were going to call the police. He then gave Sara 200 MTS back. Settled. The PCVs told us we were staying with one of their Brazilian friends at their house. Uhhh what they did NOT mention is that these people live in a mansion! So this guy and his family had befriended these PCVs. He then provided us with Brazilian bbq, running water, toilets, and air conditioning. Not to mention we were able to catch a few episodes of an old season of CSI. Besides that, I saw the Zambezi river and no I did not see any hippos or crocs. I know, I was also disappointed. Somehow, a small reminder of Namaacha happened to slip into my bag. So as Im getting ready to shower, I open my backpack to grab some clothes and see something scurry at the bottom. I freaked and shrieked. A huge cockroach the size of Dallas climbs out of my bag. Sara comes up, I tell her the situation. I was amazed that a cockroach could survive a two hour plane ride, and the ride there. How did it survive? She said, ´´Were in Africa, Mal.´´ Yeah, thats great, just kill it. And she did.

Sunday

So Sara and one of the PCVs and I leave Tete city to Angonia. At first, we were going to take a chapa, which would have cost 190 MTS until this lady from Malawi in her van behind the chapa stop said she would take us for the same price. We decided to switch and go with her because extra leg room in a 4 hour ride sounds pretty nice. And, if you really understood a ride in a chapa, you would have went too. It was legit. If you want to talk to me about this decision, email me. Anyway, so we get in her van and then on the way there her car breaks down more than once and we keep having to pour water in it or something. Not to mention while we were broken down at one point our chapa that we could have been on strolled by and waved at us. Whatever, just get us to Angonia please. We finally get there, and the lady didnt give us change (we gave her 200 MTS each). Should have gone on the chapa. That night in Angonia, however, we were able to make pizza which was worth the trip. One of the PCVs had mentioned that the dough wasnt cooked all the way, and asked if I wanted it cooked longer. At that point, I was starving and salivating, and figured Ive been eating cookie dough like nobodys business all my life. So, I ate the pizza.

Monday

We went to visit one of the PCVs schools. She started a secondary project with a couple. They began a pre school for kids ages 3 to 6, where they go all day and teach them english and portuguese. Its a great opportunity for them but unfortunately funding is becoming a problem but theyre working on it. After that, I bought some capulanas and chilled the rest of the day. Also, my host mom sent me a text message saying they all missed me. Awwwww. Eu tamben, Eu tamben...

Tuesday

Oh. My. Gosh. We had to take a chapa to Zobwe because thats where Esther had gone to visit after we split in Tete city. So the ride was about 3 hours. Most uncomfortable ride in my life to say the least. I was so squished and uncomfortable. Then, at one point, we came across an accident and saw a lady lying on the side of the road. She wasnt dead, but she didnt look that great. It was really sad. What can people out here do? There are no ambulances, and even if there were, it would take forever to get to a hospital. Then, what about the quality of that hospital? Pretty sad to think about, huh? So the chapa drops us off at a turn off point and then we have to get a ride the rest of the way. So we get on this truck with other paying passengers and off we go. Theres this lady with a baby in front of me sitting in the bed of the truck and the way I was sitting couldnt have been comfortable for her. So I asked her in portuguese if she was comfortable and she just gives me this blank stare. Then this guy next to her said Zungo, or whatever the local word is for white person or foreigner. And I was like (he spoke english), Im asking her if shes comfortable why are you calling me that? He must have misunderstood I have no idea, maybe he just wanted to inform me of that word. Awkward. So we get off finally and people ask us to buy all sorts of goodies and at this point Im already tired and about to lose my marbles because I was overwhelmed from the means of travel. Then this guy grabs my arm and asks me to buy something and thats when I almost lost it. But, I just shrugged away and it was all good. That night at the PCVs house we made fajitas and played games with the neighborhood children. Oh, not to mention that when we were going to bed there were all sorts of bugs flying around and then I felt something on my face. I flick it off and tell the PCV to turn on her flashlight. It was just a small beetle, no harm. So then Sara smashes it. Once again, all good.

Wednesday

By this point Im ready to get back to Namaacha. I have bites from something all over my body. It looks like I have chicken pox but not as bad. So, we take a chapa back to Tete city. We went into a cafe for a bit and I met some ladies that are Americans that are here to translate the Bible into some local language. Connections, connections. Got her business card just in case. After that we walk across Tete city in 114 degree heat to find a chapa to take us to the airport. I felt like I was going to pass out but just kept on truckin. We finally find a chapa and during the ride some dude got off and didnt pay so him and the cobredor (the guy who takes the money for the chapa) get into a fight. It didnt escalate too much so we keep going and finally get to the airport. By the time we get there I feel nauseous. We get on the plane and theres a little turbulence and then they start bringing out food. It was then that I knew I was going to puke. And I did. Twice. Hopefully its just motion sickness. Finally we land and Peace Corps is there to pick us all up. I wait in the car and puke again. I had already taken dramamine for motion sickness and had a little water. Then on the ride back to Namaacha, I puke again. By this point Im getting dehydrated and my friend told me I that its bad when you cant keep down water, and that one cause could be e. coli poisoning from uncooked pizza dough. Thats just great because I definitely ate that this weekend. Awesome. So, I call the doc and she gives me some rehydration salts. That night I finally got home and passed out and was able to keep everything down.

The next day my host mom made me soup for breakfast. During training that day (yesterday), I was having second guesses. BUT, then I received EIGHT letters! Whoo! I started to feel better. And then I reminded myself why I join the Peace Corps, spent some quality time with my host family, and I got over my second guesses of being here. Then today, I received TWO more letters! Whoo!

MUCH THANKS TO Aunt Marla, Granny, Mom, Dad, Alison, Eric, Karissa, Kelsey, and Sara. Thank you all SO much for sending me letters and lots of love in the mail. It means so much, you have no idea how much I value a short note. I plan on putting my cards on my wall for decoration! LOVE YALL! XOXOXO

No comments: