We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them.

- Mother Teresa

January 15, 2010

Diarreia

Has a whole new meaning outside of America. For my first couple weeks in Xai Xai, I had diarreia. I should have called PCMO but didn't because I figured it would pass, and because it was only once a day. Anyway, New Year's Eve, Emily and I chowed down on some buttered mashed potatoes with buttered chicken and more buttered stuff. Oh did I pay for it in the latrine. In the morning, I rolled onto my side and that's when I felt it. I can't explain the feeling that was going on inside my body. I just knew I had to go to the bathroom and I had to go right at that moment.

I yelled for Emily, asked her where her keys were for the latrine outside. "HURRY! I'm not playing around!" Whatever, she finally gets the keys and I didn't run to the latrine because I couldn't if you know what I mean but I walked as fast as I could. As soon as I got in there and as soon as I hovered over her wooden "toilet", and was halfway to sitting down, I lost control. Yup. I. Lost. Control. I got business all over that wooden seat. Em knew something bad happened when I went back into her house asking for a bucket of water. She asked me if I wanted to bathe. "No, I need a bucket of water in the latrine..." "Why? What could you have possibly DONE?!" she said. "Just give it to me. I couldn't help it." I told her.

I had to buy her a few new rolls of tp after that. I finally called PCMO a few days later and finally finished my antibiotics.  It's all good now and I'm ready to chow down for my b-day.

No comments: