We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.

Our life of poverty is as necessary as the work itself. Only in heaven will we see how much we owe to the poor for helping us to love God better because of them.

- Mother Teresa

January 22, 2010

Random moments

The other day I was sitting with an activista and she was telling me that her husband speaks English because he works as a painter in South Africa. I asked her how many kids she had. She told me she has five kids, but four have died. I said, oh so you only have one? "No, I have five but I had four other children who died." I said oh when did the last one die? She said, "that child died last summer when she was four years old." I asked why they died. "They were sick. I want to tell you that this year, I'm going to stop HIV." Let's.

There's a market behind my house. I went to the market one day and poof! I ran into an activista. I think she's the oldest one because she's grandma-like. Anyway, she pretty much only speaks Chengana. So we ran into each other and we were both so excited to see each other. It was a strange moment because she was speaking in Chengana and I was speaking Portuguese. We both didn't know what the other was saying but I can say the excitement of the reunion was mutual.

My friend told me I finally got approval to work at the orphanage in my neighborhood.  :)

I want to write more right now but I'm already late to meet a friend to share a Coca-Cola (what a treat) and then I think I might stop by the gas station to get some ice cream. It's Friday!

P.S. Thank you everyone for keeping in touch. Thank you for all the emails and everything else. Thank you to all my mom's piano students for making me birthday cards, I read them on my birthday! I plan on reserving a space on my wall to hang them! I'll take pictures. I love you and miss you all very very very much!

No comments: